Thursday, March 10, 2005

Required Reading for Open Gaming Developers

From the Livejournal of game designer Mike Mearls. He is usually a source for interesting ideas, and this bit of discussion isn't a disappointment.

Required Reading for Open Gaming Developers

"If you work with any of the material released under the OGL you must read The Cathedral & the Bazaar, by Eric S. Raymond.

"There's an online version available.

"It's long enough that the print version from O'Reilly is a good resource.

"I'm two-thirds of the way through it, and I feel that I finally understand both the potential of the OGL and how the gaming industry has managed to bungle that potential. In short, RPG companies have been given a powerful tool yet their reliance on closed development styles keeps them from seeing it."

[Back to me now...] I don't see what he proposes happening. The example that he sites, and the model that he seems to be groping towards may work for open source software development, but I don't see it as a model that would work for RPG publishers. No one is going to follow the model because it flies in the face of "nobody is going to buy the cow if the milk is free" logic. Too many business models are built to follow the "cow model," and I don't think that enough people are going to think changing to an open source model will work. Hell, I don't think it would work.

I don't know, I think that it is yet another case of someone letting philosophizing get ahead of pratical concerns. While Mike Mearls is a very good game designer, it should be pointed out that he isn't a business owner. Perhaps he would feel differently about business models if he were. Who knows...